Mining is a fine balance between commercial viability and environmental sustainability. Jubilee is committed to operating in a manner that will ensure the longevity of both the operations and the areas and communities surrounding them.
Responsible and sustainable environmental stewardship is core to our business as a metal recovery company. By processing remnant mining residues and waste material we are addressing the physical legacies of historical mining operations by rehabilitating the environment and clearing away pollution.
In ensuring good environmental stewardship remains at the heart of our business, Jubilee endeavours to:
- Improve waste minimisation measures, energy efficiencies and air, land and management systems
- Manage and mitigate the impact on affected natural ecosystems,
- Contribute towards biodiversity conservation,
- Ensure effective and appropriate land rehabilitation, and
- Ensure that comprehensive disaster management plans are in place.
A key illustration of our commitment to good environmental stewardship is our membership of the Zambia Mining and Environmental Remediation and Improvement Project, a government initiative to reduce environmental health risks to the local population in critically polluted mining areas in Zambia, including the Kabwe municipality.
Key environmental legislation regulates the mining industry in South Africa and Jubilee aims to maintain a comprehensive environmental management plan for current and future operations. These plans address the risks associated with current and legacy mining waste.